8 Step Guide to Good Traffic Stops
- Pull off to the right.
- Find a safe place to park.
- Both hands on the steering wheel, visible at all times.
- Do not exit the car unless requested by officer.
- Have a receptive attitude, even if you believe your rights are being violated.
- Respect and Respond, even if the officer’s attitude is demeaning, degrading and dehumanizing.
- Make no sudden movements without informing the officer.
- Report inappropriate behaviors to the Office of Professional Standards, even if the office is controlled by the same officers who abused your rights.
- Get the officers’ name and badge number; or
- Car number located on the side of the police car; or
- B-tag located on top of the car.
- For unmarked cars get the license plate number
Remember you can call 911 and request a supervisor remain on the line with your during police stops.